Protect yourself when receiving email
What if you receive bounce back messages for email you never sent?
If you start to receive lots of bounce-back messages for emails you never sent, it is possible that a spammer has access to your mailbox.
There are two main ways this could have happened:
- they have guessed your passord by brute force, or
- they have captured your password using malware from either your computer or a 3rd party computer you have used to access email.
Take the following steps:
- Change the mailbox password.
- Run antivirus and malware scans on all computers used to connect to the affected mailbox.
- Consider deleting the affected mailbox.