Joomla! 4 Beta 7 is launched for testing
Release date: 2 February 2021.
Beta 7 is accompanied by the release of Joomla! 3.10 Alpha 5.
This is expected to be the final Beta version prior to launch of a Release Candidate.
Joomla! 3.10 is the jumping off point for live sites to upgrade to Joomla! 4.
There is a link to the Beta 7 release statement at the foot of this article.
Beta 7 follows the announcement by The Joomla! Project on 22 January that Joomla! 4 will now ship with Bootstrap 5 instead of Bootstrap 4.
Bootsrap 5 is still in the Beta stage of development but the Joomla! Project has decided to adopt it early for a number of reasons, including:
- it is not possible to adopt Bootstrap 5 as part of a minor release, and
- early adoption will further future-proof Joomla! 4.
The adoption of Bootstrap 5 means additional work for developers before the stable version of Joomla! 4 is eventually launched - hopefully very soon.
FAO WYNCHCO Subscribers
JOOMLERS.UK Guide is in process of being updated in response to the many improvements introduced by Joomla! 4, and will be completed very soon.
WYNCHCO Templates were ready and waiting for use when Joomla! 4 is finally released prior to this latest announcement about the move to Bootstrap 5.
We shall now be working hard to make necessary adjustments to ensure our templates are compatible with Bootstrap 5.
All WYNCHCO Website Designs will now be created using the Joomla! 4 CMS.
DO NOT upgrade your live site to Joomla 4 Beta 7 (or any other beta version).
DO NOT upgrade your live site to Joomla! 3.10 Alpha 5 (or any other alpha version).
Reason: these releases are for testing purposes ONLY.
Wait for the stable release.
Can't wait to try Joomla! 4 for yourself?
We can help.
Hear what George Wilson, Lead Developer, has to say about Joomla! 4
George Wilson, Lead Developer, contributed to a one hour discussion about Joomla! 4 in Spring 2020.
The video chat was the first of several organised by Joomlashack during the first weeks of the C-19 Lockdown.
Joomla! 4 Key Features & Benefits
- Install Joomla in the blink of an eye: An easier, faster and more user-friendly install process.
- Brand new User Interfaces: (backend and frontend): intuitive and logical, easy to understand and use.
- Joomla is people first: We aim to ensure that the templates are accessible (Level AA of WCAG 2.1).
- A fully rebuilt Media Manager: With a clear and logical User Interface and built-in image editing options.
- A new Workflow: Manage your content in an advanced and customisable way.
- Web Services: Make your content accessible to other websites and for easy mobile app creation.
- Cast-iron security features: Features like support for prepared SQL statements, so your website stays safe and secure.
- HTML Mail Templates: Customisation of the emails, sending emails from your site has never been so easy!
- Improved and expanded Command Line Interface (CLI): For smooth integration of your components.
- A cleaner and more powerful codebase: The code has been cleaned up thoroughly, all Joomla 3.x deprecated functions have been removed, and we use PHP namespaces, enabling developers to deliver more robust and innovative applications than ever before.
- The power of the Joomla Framework merged into the CMS.
- An enhanced event dispatching system.
Be ready for when Joomla! 4 is launched
The best way to prepare for the launch of the Joomla! 4 series is to make sure your website is always using the latest available release of Joomla! CMS.
We also recommend that you protect your assets by installing a Web Application Firewall.
And ensure the server hosting your website is using PHP 7.4 or later.
Need help, just ask.
What comes after Joomla! 4.0?
Joomla! 4.1 and 4.2 are already in development!