This latest release comes many many months, even years, after the last release which was, you guessed correctly, 4.7.
In fact, we were beginning to look around for an alternative extension provider because it is not wise to run out of date extensions.
The latest release includes three major worth waiting for improvements:
- compatibility with PHP 7,
- support for HTTPS (unless not supported by the provider, e.g. Metacafe, Veoh, & Screenr),
- and you can now embed supported 3rd party videos by copy/pasting the entire video page URL rather than having to cut and paste only the video tag.
We recommend PHP 7
We recommend using PHP 7.0 or later with your Joomla! CMS.
But you should know that websites using Joomla! 3.4 (or earlier) will break unless PHP 5.6 or earlier is used.
- Security support for PHP 5.6 will end shortly.
- Joomla! 3.4 is not secure.
It is therefore a no-brainer to update to the latest available release of Joomla! CMS.
And then request that your host provide PHP 7 (if there is no PHP Switch in your Hosting Control Panel).
We recommend Lets Encrypt SSL
Let’s Encrypt is a free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA), run for the public’s benefit.
It is a service provided by the Internet Security Research Group (ISRG).
Backup your website before installing or updating!
ALWAYS perform a FULL back up your website before installing or updating extensions.
Joomla! extension updates can and do stall, and when they do they can break your website!
WYNCHCO Joomla! CMS Support
We coach, help and support managers with responsibility for Joomla! websites in organisations across Cheshire, Manchester, Merseyside, North West England & the UK.