How to Install a 3rd Party Plugin
A 3rd Party Plugin is one created by a developer, and which does not form part of the core Joomla! CMS.
The process is the same as for installing 3rd Party Components and Modules.
Protect your website when using 3rd Party Plugins
Take the following steps to protect your website when installing and uninstalling plugins.
- Back up your website before installing a plugin.
- Check for vulnerabilities on the Joomla! Vulnerable Extensions List.
- Only download plugins from trusted sites.
- Test a plugin on a development site before installing on your live site.
- Next test a plugin on your live site (you may wish to check logs for runtime errors and warnings).
- Remove any junk files from the tmp directory following installation of a plugin.
- After uninstalling a plugin, check that all related folders, files and database tables were removed by uninstall scripts.1
- Periodically check for new releases and update installed plugins.
- Check with the third party developer that there are no restrictions relating to use of their plugin.
1 All folders, files and database tables left behind following uninstallation of a plugin pose a potential security risk.