There are two main groups of extensions available for use with the Joomla! CMS:
Official Joomla Extensions: developed as optional addons by The Joomla! Project.
3rd Party Joomla! Extensions: created for use with the Joomla! CMS by independent developers.
There are several thousand 3rd party Joomla! extensions listed in the Joomla! Extensions Directory (or JED).
Avoid searching for 3rd party extensions using a search engine.
Instead go straight to the JED where you can browse 3rd party extensions registered by their developers with The Joomla! Project.
If an extension is not listed in the JED then we recommend that you do NOT use it in your website.
There are thousands of extensions to choose from in the Joomla! Extension Directory.
But not all are to be recommended, either because they are untested or not well supported by their developer.
Others may result in your website becoming less secure.
It is important to use only extensions that can be trusted and are regularly updated by their developers.
You should always do this before installing a third party Joomla! extension.
If your website later malfunctions you can then restore your backed up version of your website.
Always check that the extension you want to use is not on this list.
If your website is a business website then you are advised to first check with the developer that there are no restrictions relating to using their extension without charge.
Here's a useful checklist to help you when installing and uninstalling 3rd party extensions.
- Backup your website before installing an extension.
- Check for extension vulnerabilities on the Joomla! Vulnerable Extensions List.
- Only download from trusted sites.
- Test an extension on a development site before installing on your live site.
- Test an extension on your live site next, checking logs for runtime errors and warnings when doing so.
- Remove junk files following installation of an extension.
- When uninstalling an extension, check that all related folders and files were actually removed by uninstall scripts.
- When uninstalling an extension, remove any related database tables and/or rows within tables left behind by uninstall scripts.
WYNCHCO Joomla! CMS Support
We coach, help and support managers with responsibility for Joomla! websites in organisations across Cheshire, Manchester, Merseyside, North West England & the UK.