How to install a 3rd Party Component
A 3rd Party Component is one created by a developer, and which does not form part of the core Joomla! CMS.
The process is the same as for installing 3rd Party Plugins and Modules.
Protect your website when using 3rd Party Components
Take the following steps to protect your website when installing and uninstalling components.
- Back up your website before installing a component.
- Check for vulnerabilities on the Joomla! Vulnerable Extensions List.
- Only download components from trusted sites.
- Test a component on a development site before installing on your live site.
- Next test a component on your live site (you may wish to check logs for runtime errors and warnings).
- Remove any junk files from the tmp directory following installation of a component.
- After uninstalling a component, check that all related folders, files and database tables were removed by uninstall scripts.1
- Periodically check for new releases and update installed components.
- Check with the third party developer that there are no restrictions relating to use of their component.
1 All folders, files and database tables left behind following uninstallation of a component pose a potential security risk.